Monitoring Splunk

How to minimize splunk's memory usage

domengph
Engager

Is it possible to explicitly define how much memory splunk (splunkd and splunkweb) is allowed to use? Thanks

Tags (2)

araitz
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk uses memory in parallel to how much work it is doing. If you are indexing a lot of data, have many concurrent searches, etc than Splunk is going to use a lot of memory in the process of doing the work that you asked it to do.

A better question might be - why would you want to constrain the amount of memory that Splunk uses?

0 Karma

tmahfoudi

Ok, so what limits and settings do you need to change for the memory usage to be reduced? I'm having issues with this in our production SLES environment. Anything helps. thanks!

0 Karma

astubbs
Engager

@gkanapathy can you please add some more information to your answer around the statement "various limits and settings." i.e. what are these settings called, where do you set them etc. i.e. manual page etc?

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

No it is not. It is only possible to indirectly influence it with various limits and settings.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...