Monitoring Splunk

How to get avg license usage per for sourcetype and host for a month

Hemnaath
Motivator

I need to get average license utilization per sourcetype and host for 30 days for a particular index and I was trying this, which I had got from answers.com but not sure whether this query is correct.

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type="Usage" idx="xxx" earliest=-30d@d latest=@d
| eval h=if(len(h)=0 OR isnull(h),"(SQUASHED)",h)
| eval s=if(len(s)=0 OR isnull(s),"(SQUASHED)",s)
| eval st=if(len(st)=0 OR isnull(st),"(UNKNOWN)",st)
| fields _time, pool, b,h,st
| bin _time span=1d
| stats sum(b) as b by _time, pool,h,st
| stats sum(b) AS volume by h, _time,st
| stats avg(volume) AS avgVolume max(volume) AS maxVolume by h,st
| eval avgVolumeGB=round(avgVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| eval maxVolumeGB=round(maxVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| fields h,st, avgVolumeGB, maxVolumeGB
| rename avgVolumeGB AS "average" maxVolumeGB AS "peak",st AS "sourcetype", h AS "hostname"
| sort -sourcetype, hostname
| head 10

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Karma

scelikok
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Hemnaath,

If the number of distinct tuples (host, source, sourcetype, index) grows beyond a configurable threshold, the host and source values are automatically squashed. This threshold is 2000 default. In order to see all host and source values, you need to increase this setting. Please increase this value like 

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.3/Admin/AboutSplunksLicenseUsageReportView#Squashin... 

If this reply helps you an upvote and "Accept as Solution" is appreciated.

Hemnaath
Motivator

Hey I am getting the avg/peak  license usage details per sourcetype but in case of hostname field value I am able to see the  (SQUASHED) detail as the hostname not the exact hostname which is consuming more license. 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The query works fine in my environment.  I see host names rather than "(SQUASHED)".

Run the base query and verify the host name is as expected.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

Hemnaath
Motivator

I ran the query in the deployment server still getting some of the hostname as SQUASHED.

index=_internal source=*license_usage.log* type="Usage" idx="xxx" earliest=-30d@d latest=@d
| eval h=if(len(h)=0 OR isnull(h),"(SQUASHED)",h)
| eval s=if(len(s)=0 OR isnull(s),"(SQUASHED)",s)
| eval st=if(len(st)=0 OR isnull(st),"(UNKNOWN)",st)
| fields _time, pool, b,h,st
| bin _time span=1d
| stats sum(b) AS volume by h, _time,st
| eval avgVolumeGB=round(avgVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| eval maxVolumeGB=round(maxVolume/1024/1024/1024,3)
| fields h,st, avgVolumeGB, maxVolumeGB
| rename avgVolumeGB AS "average" maxVolumeGB AS "peak",st AS "sourcetype", h AS "hostname"
| sort -average 

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I think I see the problems.  First, you ran the query on the DS.  Run it on a search head and see if you get better results.  Second, you ran the entire query rather than just the base query (up to the first pipe | ).

---
0 Karma

Hemnaath
Motivator

I ran the base query in the splunk search head and found the list of hostname associated with the particular index name.

| table _time, pool,b,h,st

But when I wanted to calculate the some of bytes consumed by host and sourcetype with _time I am able see some of the hostname field values are empty.

| table _time, pool,b,h,st

| bin _time span=1d

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I'm not sure what to tell you.  The license_usage log should have host names in it.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I don't see how the pool field adds any value.  I believe the three stats commands can be reduced to two.

| stats sum(b) AS volume by _time,h,st

I expected a query like this to sort the results by volume rather than alphabetically, especially if showing only 10 results.

---
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...