Monitoring Splunk

Help with DMC response port- Where can I find documentation on this?

Sir_Redan
Explorer

Hi.

I'm rather fresh to Splunk and all it's magic. I was wondering if there is a place where I can find the information regarding servers responding to DMC connections. as in the monitoring console has ServerA and ServerB to monitor. how do i force ServerA to use static port X and ServerB to use static port Y when sending data to the monitoring console

I'd believe it would be as simple as 
[specific_stanza_name]
DMC_uri:port_of_choice

but i have not managed to find any info regarding the servers response to DMC queries

Labels (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Servers do not send data to the MC - that is, they do not initiate.  The MC sends queries to the servers on the management port (usually 8089, but configurable) and the servers reply with data.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @Sir_Redan,

the answer of @richgalloway is the full explanation of how DMC works: all logs from all Splunk servers are sent to Indexers, DMC is an additional Search Head that make searches on Indexers and displays results about all Splunk machines of your infrastructure, it doesn't directly query the other machines.

In addition I can only add the link to the documentation that you can read https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.2.6/DMC/DMCoverview

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Servers do not send data to the MC - that is, they do not initiate.  The MC sends queries to the servers on the management port (usually 8089, but configurable) and the servers reply with data.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...