Monitoring Splunk

Can splunk-optimize kill my box?

howyagoin
Contributor

Last night around 2345 a splunk-optimize process seems to have kicked off, and my server has essentially been unresponsive all day since. I will get remote hands on the box tomorrow at the soonest (grr, holiday weekends) but in the mean time I'm wondering if anyone else has seen this type of behaviour.

I have one working shell on the box at the moment, any further attempts to connect are met with failure, and other sessions hung after a few commands, so I'm extremely hesitant to do much till I can get to the console.

From ps:

root     64784 100.0  0.2  2595160  78012   ??  Rs   11:44PM 809:35.51 splunk-optimize -d /Volumes/foo/Applications/splunk/var/lib/splunk/zz/db/hot_v1_104

That %CPU varies, so whatever this process is seems to actually still be going. I tried (perhaps foolishly) to kill -9 it, but it made no difference.

I realise this is a longshot, but, just wondering if others have had issues with this process on particularly large indices.

For what it's worth, the OS is OS X 10.6.7.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

howyagoin
Contributor

I ended up rebooting. Killing the optimize didn't help, and even ps was getting wedged telling me about what was running. Oh well.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

howyagoin
Contributor

I ended up rebooting. Killing the optimize didn't help, and even ps was getting wedged telling me about what was running. Oh well.

0 Karma

netwrkr
Communicator

killall -9 splunk ? It's probably chewing up all available disk io.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...