Monitoring Splunk

CPU Performances issues when running input powershell scripts

np75014
Explorer

Hi,

I'm using 4 powershell scripts to gather different infos on my machine (Windows server 2012) .
I run the scripts every 5 seconds and i can observe a lot of fluctuations on the CPU Usage who's jumping from 0 to 80% every 5 seconds (script execution).
My configuration follows the splunk recommandations and using empty scripts doesn't change anything.
Is that normal?
Do you have any solutions in order to prevent that?

np75014
Explorer

Thanks for your reply.
The reason why we don’t want to impact the CPU usage that much is because our solution is supposed to monitor the machine for abnormal usage. We do not want to be disruptive.
Running the script outside Splunk does not cause problems.

Do you have the same behavior, and do you confirm it’s expected behavior?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Yes, do something else useful on the server. Why do you care that CPU goes to 80%? If the server is sitting there totally idle (CPU=0%), then it makes perfect sense for the OS/scheduler to allot what would normally be excessive resources to a low priority task. I would expect and desire it to do exactly that; why do you expect otherwise?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...