Monitoring Splunk

Auditing who disabled/enabled alerts on a Search Head

jeffbat
Path Finder

I am trying to figure out how I can audit who disabled alerts on one of our search heads. I was thinking it is in the _audit index but have not been able to find the information I would expect.

I have enabled the alerts again as they need to be running but I do not see an entry in audit that shows I did that even.

This is likely just a search that I am not writing correctly.

Does anyone have a search that will show me alerts that were enabled/disabled during a time period and what user performed the action?

Thanks.

Labels (2)

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

_audit doesn't have as much information as one would expect. Try looking in splunkd_ui_access.log.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

inventsekar
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @richgalloway 

splunkd_ui_access.log also does not have good info.. something missing, something fishy.

0 Karma

jeffbat
Path Finder

I am not seeing in there what user that has made a change to the specific alert. (I did see the time window where I enabled a search that was disabled but it doesn't show my account doing it, and it was only showing it through the scheduler sourcetype as that meant it got rescheduled. The only user shown is the user that the alert was created with).

This does help me narrow down when it was changed to disabled but now who did it.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...