Knowledge Management

What are good techniques to provide initial data to the key value store?

halr9000
Motivator

Let's say I'm building an app, and I have data which needs to be loaded into the KV store once the app is installed. I also want to be careful about anything happening automatically, because a reinstall or upgrade will clobber any data already in there.

Question #1: How can I automate the initial load as much as possible?
Question #2: How can I prevent overwriting existing data in an upgrade scenario?

What are some good techniques?

Tags (2)
0 Karma

joxley
Path Finder

Extending from @halr9000's answer

You can do a lookup on itself and exclude results that are already in the lookup_name lookup.

| inputlookup filename.csv | lookup lookup_name identity_column OUTPUT identity_column as found_id | search NOT found_id=* | outputlookup lookup_name

The | search NOT found_id=* will show all events that do not have a found_id field.

This has the downside that if your users delete records from the lookup, you'll re-add them.

Another option would be to ship filename_v1.csv and filename_v2.csv then do a similar thing there to seed the lookup.

halr9000
Motivator

One way would be to ship your initial data as a CSV file, and then import the data using inputlookup and outputlookup. Here is a sample search from this migrate to KV store page:

| inputlookup filename.csv | outputlookup lookup_name

Care would need to be taken to ensure that the operation isn't performed a second time, or the data would be overwritten.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...