Knowledge Management

Using generating commands in a data model?

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I've got a generating command that I want to use in a data model. What's the best way to get my field (attribute) list? Will I have to add them manually? Will this model be eligible for acceleration?

(In this case, it's dbinspect, with a well-structured (and repeatable) output. Would the same restrictions / caveats apply to something like | inputcsv?)

Tags (2)

aneels_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

You can use a generating command as part of the search in a search-based object. Then you add the fields (or at least, the relevant subset) to that object using the "auto-extracted attributes" flow in the Data Model Builder. See the data model builder docs for information about extracting fields.

Search-based object aren't eligible for model-wide acceleration, but they do get ad-hoc acceleration when used via the Pivot interface. See this page in the docs for more info on how to take advantage of model-wide acceleration.

0 Karma

mattness
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you use a generating command in conjunction with a root search object you should be able to add the generated fields as auto-extracted attributes. You won't be able to accelerate the model if it only contains a root search object hierarchy, but "ad hoc" acceleration in Pivot--acceleration on the fly, meaning that pivot completion times improve as you rerun the pivot while in Pivot--will still work.

sowings
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I have a base search of "| dbinspect index=*". When I attempt to add attributes, using the "Auto-extracted" set, I get a warning saying that the search command doesn't support field summary, and I don't have any fields to choose from. More hints?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...