Knowledge Management

Summary collection of summary indexed data

sranga
Path Finder

Hi

We have a saved-search that retrieves data from an existing summary index. It is of the following form:

index=summary s_name=blah | stats count as inner_count by field1 field2 _time | 
bucket span=1mon _time | sistats sum(inner_count) as outer_count by field1 field2 _time

The above search is saved with a marker: s_name=blah2. When I try to retrieve this in a dashboard using the following query, the outer_count always shows up as 0.

index=summary s_name=blah2 | stats sum(inner_count) as outer_count by field1 field2 _time

Any help is appreciated.

Ranga

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

Your final sistats command on your summary indexing search should not output a field called "inner_count".

Which you should be able to confirm with the search:

index=summary s_name=blah2 inner_count=*

(I'm not 100% sure what this looks like with the sistats, I normally prefer stats and simply avoid any of the complex stuff that sistats handles that stats does not. So I could be wrong about that search.)

What I do not full understand is how your second search sum(inner_count) give a value of 0. If inner_count is missing completely, you should get a "missing field" error in your search.

Update:

Never mind, I just figured out that sistats seems to just pretty much ignore field renaming using "as"; so "inner_count" is probably the field name that is saved in the summary index and not "outer_count".

Out of curiosity, if you take the secondary summary index out of the equation, does it work?

index=summary s_name=blah | stats count as inner_count by field1 field2 _time | bucket span=1mon _time | sistats sum(inner_count) by field1 field2 _time | stats sum(inner_count) as outer_count by field1 field2 _time
0 Karma

sranga
Path Finder

Sorry. I meant to say "outer_count". The outer_count field gets displayed in the "Other interesting fields" section. outer_count is defined in the summary index query (in the question above).

0 Karma

Lowell
Super Champion

I'm not familiar with the "mon_*" prefixed fields, but then again I don't know all that much about how the si search commands summarized your fields either, so this could be normal. Well, at least you've been able to prove that it's not a summary indexing problem, it's something in your combination of sistats ... | stats ..., or it's a bug.

0 Karma

sranga
Path Finder

When I run the following search: index=summary report=blah2 | stats sum(inner_count) by field1 field2 _time, i do see "mon_count" being displayed as a "field" under the "Other interesting fields" section. However when I try to use it in the stats command it doesn't work.

0 Karma

sranga
Path Finder

Thanks. If sistats ignores field renaming, my first summary-indexed query would also not function right?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...