Knowledge Management

Splunk 6.2 mongod does not seem to shut down when initiating a restart

pkeller
Contributor

Having issues with some members of our 6.2 platform where issuing a splunk restart ends up not being able to complete because the mongod process does not exit properly.

Is this a necessary component of 6.2 if we're not running Hunk ... and should it then be disabled?

Any workarounds?

Tags (3)
1 Solution

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The mongod process is part of the App Key Value Store (KV store). You can read About the app key value store in the Admin Manual. You can disable KV store by editing server.conf, this is mentioned in the 6.2 release notes.

View solution in original post

kearaspoor
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Can anyone please provide details on how to identify identify in a Linux environment which KV/mongod process is hung? and whether manually closing/restarting it is a viable work around until the bug gets fixed? Thank you!

0 Karma

jgoddard
Path Finder

What I have been doing is to do a "ps aux| grep splunk" or "ps aux|grep mongod" after a failed restart. Netstat for the KV port works fine too.

Splunk does spit out a message on startup of the KV port being bound, so you should be able to check for that as well.

To date, i have had no noticeable issues from killing the leftover mongod process, and splunk starts normallly after that. There is not a pid file created for the mongod process that I can find, but it would not be difficult to add a stanza to the stop portion of the /etc/init.d/splunk file that looks for a pid associated with the KV store port, and kill that process after splunk stops, or the splunk_stop script for that matter.

Jim

0 Karma

glentes
Path Finder

We have the same issue while evaluating the search head cluster on top of an index cluster with 6.2.1 before going live in our new productive splunk infrastructure which looks like:

• 1 deploy and license server
  • 3 heavy forwarder
  • 1 indexer master node
  • 6 index clustered server
  • 4 search heads to be integrated into a search head cluster with a load balancer on top

After the deploment of applications into the test search head cluster (using the deployer also located on the deployment server) some of the search heads doesn'r start.
This would be a problem for our productive splunk infrastructrue, because according to the search head cluster documentation existing search heads can't me migrated into a cluster.
Looks like we have to postpone going live with the productive infra otherwise we would need to reinstall all search heads again before setting up the cluster.

As far as I can see this problem isalready known since around begin of november last year.
Is there already a planned availability date known for the patch?

0 Karma

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

SPL-96265 will be fixed in an upcoming maintenance release, but I don't have a date for when that release will be available.

0 Karma

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

This has been identified as known Bug -SPL-96265-Orphan KVStore process stop Splunk from restarting

BP9906
Builder

Thank you. Hopefully this will be fixed in a patch release.

0 Karma

jgoddard
Path Finder

Actually KV Store IS required for many of the splunk applications now. Enterprise Security, the windows Infrastructure apps, Exchange, etc. not sure how many others.

I have this issue continually, but only on my search cluster members. The other search heads that i have running kvstore always seem to terminate the KV/mongod process fine, but the cluster members routinely do not. Sadly, this is not a 100% failure. I have been working with Splunk engineers on this for a month and to date i have no answers.

I cannot disable KVstore, but cannot keep my search cluster (which aside from some pain is a REALLY awesome feature and will be coming to ES soon, which makes it even more important to me to find a solution.

I had a suggestion from a co-worker that there are known issues around mongod not terminating due to some NUMA issues, but i haven't yet found anything illuminating.

If someone has found a resolution or workaround for the KV Store staying running during a splunk restart, i would love to hear it.

0 Karma

jlin
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Splunk does have issue where if mongod process did not shutdown correctly and try to start again, since Splunk does not try to kill off running mongod instance. You could manually kill them off and restart Splunk.

KV Store is not a necessary component to run Splunk, however, some app might use it to keep track of states.

Also to reiterate, the way to disable KV store is by editing server.conf:

[kvstore]
disabled = true

rbal_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

jlin > you are correct in saying that if you disable "kvstore" you will not see issye if orphan mongod process.

Not many application use Kvstore, one easy way to check if the envieomnet is using kvstore is to look at Collections.conf file using btool

./splunk cmd btool Collections list --debug

if this is almsot empty- that would mean you have not deployed any app using KV store.

0 Karma

halr9000
Motivator

Looks like disabling is good enough workaround for you. However, it'd be really nice to have some closure on the cause of mongod not wanting to die. Did you look at index=_internal to try and find the cause?

ChrisG
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The mongod process is part of the App Key Value Store (KV store). You can read About the app key value store in the Admin Manual. You can disable KV store by editing server.conf, this is mentioned in the 6.2 release notes.

pkeller
Contributor

Thanks so much. I've disabled the kvstore functionality.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...