Installation

Why does pdf server fail with the message "ERROR pdfhandler:453 - Execution of Firefox for i386 failed"

Alan_Bradley
Path Finder

I'm seeing the following errors in my python.log after trying to install the pdf server:

2010-04-08 11:43:08,580 ERROR pdfhandler:453 - Execution of Firefox for i386 failed
2010-04-08 11:43:08,580 ERROR Execution of Firefox for i386 failed
2010-04-08 11:43:08,583 ERROR pdfhandler:584 - (500) Failed to generate a report using Firefox: Failed to start: Check that all Firefox dependencies are met 

I've tried to make sure all of the dependicies are met

> rpm -aq | egrep 'Xvfb|fire|xauth'
xorg-x11-xauth-1.0.1-2.1
xorg-x11-server-Xvfb-1.1.1-48.76.el5
firefox-3.0.19-1.el5_5
Tags (3)

sab231

In Splunk 4.3.4 on Ubuntu server 11.4 you can fix the problem installing the libxcursor1 packet, it contains the libXcursor.so.1 library needed to execute the pdf generator.

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

Same btw. is happening in Splunk 4.3.2

0 Karma

tpaulsen
Contributor

We are running Splunk 4.1.2 on SLES10_64Bit and we get the same error message. When i use

DISPLAY=none $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/pdfserver/bin/firefox-i386/firefox

it´s not working. But when i use the same command with the 64 Bit version:

DISPLAY=none $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/pdfserver/bin/firefox-x86_64/firefox

Everthing seems fine. I guess the pdf-server apps doesn´t recognize that Splunk is on 64Bit and chooses the wrong firefox binary....

So what can we do about this?

0 Karma

gareth
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

That should be all you need - can you try running firefox directly and see if it reports a useful error?

Assuming $SPLUNK_HOME is set to the directory Splunk is installed in, please try running:

DISPLAY=none $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/pdfserver/bin/firefox-i386/firefox

This should result in a message "Error: cannot open display: none" if all the dependencies are met, but will (hopefully) result in a more useful message in this instance.

Michael_Wilde
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Update: In working with Gareth this past weekend. He asked me to try to install the "bitstream-vera-fonts" package.

yum install bitstream-vera-fonts

PDF Server now works properly!!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...