Installation

Why does 200 MG of .EVTX files uploaded into Splunk exceed the 1 GB limit on license?

dbousquin

I'm new to Splunk.

I have a folder with windows Eventlog files that we want to feed into splunk. I have less than 200 MB of files on the disk but when splunk imports it my index usage hits 1 GB, which causes a license violation.

Can anyone explain why, or know the raw data size to index size is?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Windows Event Logs are two parts - an XML component (stored potentially compressed in the EVTX file) and the Message (stored in a DLL). Splunk puts these together to create the standard Windows Event Logs. You get a decoded event which is the XML + Message, hence the ballooning storage.

Rename the .EVTX file to .XML and import, setting the sourcetype to WinXmlEventLog:channel and the event separator appropriately (I think it's ) and the event will be stored in Splunk in XML. In addition, if your events are from the Security channel, the Splunk_TA_windows will decode them in a CIM compliant manner, allowing you to use them in all the CIM data models that they are appropriate to.

dbousquin

Thanks for the info on the EVTX components..

Can you elaborate on WinXMLEventlog:channel? Is this defined as part of an Add On?

0 Karma

ahall_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

The WinXmlEventLog:channel is a sourcetype. If your Channel field in the event logs is, for example, Security, then you would set the source type to WinXmlEventLog:Security - this allows the Splunk_TA_windows to decode the events and populate the common fields.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...