Installation

What bash scripts did the Splunk installer run on OS X?

sstevenson

On initial install; Splunk opened my console and ran quite a few bash shell scripts and then closed the windows rather quickly.

One might think it polite that the administrator of said system might see what went on and what changes have been made.

Is there an install log anywhere? What pre-requisites do I now have to consider?

I manage with Puppet so I’d really like to understand what happened in the background if you don’t mind.
Everything's working fine but I manage multiple versions of Python and MongoDB on the same system and I don’t want things to conflict.

Any help is appreciated.

Labels (1)
0 Karma

acharlieh
Influencer

Was this with the Linux rpm ? Or the Debian Linux deb? Or the MacOS diskimage & installer? Or the Solaris pkg?

sstevenson

The disk image, namely splunk-6.2.3-264376-macosx-10.7-intel.

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There are a couple log files generated by default, IIRC they're in your user's temp directory. However, you can generate a very very detailed log file like this:

msiexec /I <splunk-MSI> /l*v <log-file>

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

It's much better now, the initial question was quite ambiguous. Seeing how you deem my assumption-based answer as downvote-worthy I've applied a similar standard to your assumption-demanding question. I'll take it off now that it's much clearer.

Have you checked /var/log for an install log?

0 Karma

martin_mueller
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Closing windows made me assume you were on Windows 🙂

0 Karma

sstevenson

Out of interest; may I ask why you've voted down my (edited) question? Do you believe that my question is invalid or is this purely just 'bad blood’ for me voting down your answer despite my ‘oops’ and dutiful timely edit.

0 Karma

sstevenson

Oops, I’ll update the question. I assumed everyone used Unix 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...