Installation

Upgrade form 6.5 to 8.1 using the AWS Marketplace.

somramsam
Engager

We are on Splunk Enterprise 6.5 and would like to upgrade to 8.1.2 using the AWS Market place AMI. What are the important factors that I need to keep in mind and if you have any steps to migrate the Data from 6.5 to 8.1.2. Greatly appreciated...

thanks,

Somi

0 Karma

Vardhan
Contributor

Hi @somramsam,

You can't directly upgrade Splunk from 6.5 to 8.1.2. First, upgrade your instance to 7.2x then upgrade to 8.1.2. Read the doc before upgrading your instance link was provided below.

Vardhan_0-1616390117662.png

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.1.2/Installation/HowtoupgradeSplunk

0 Karma

sgadang

@Vardhan , thank you. But the thing is we would like to spin up the 8.1.2 marketplace instance form AWS and migrate the data and the components over from a 6.5 EC2. Would we be able to perform these tasks without any issues? If you have any migration tools or a process to perform these tasks?

Thank you,

Somi

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

As @Vardhan said, you must go through 7.2 as there is some internal modifications which must apply to buckets.

You could try to install that middle version to ec2 instance then stop it, copy (with rsync) data from original node to it, stop original instance, sync data with rsync again to this middle instance, start it when it do needed modifications to buckets. After yo7 have verified that it works ok, then do the same with market place version. 

0 Karma

Jarohnimo
Builder

Hi,

I'm understanding the process of upgrade but where are you reading this information pertaining to the internal modification to buckets. I have some end users who want to know specifically as to why the need to do the intermediate jump.

Theres a lot of Splunk docs that explains the need to but doesn't go into why

0 Karma

somramsam
Engager

hi @Jarohnimo 

The 6.5 is EOL already and 7.2 is EOF as of last week. We thught we could directly jump to 8.1.3 but it seems like we can not since the schema has changed in 7.2. hence we had to bring our instance to 7.2, verify and then upgrade to 8.1.3.

Per the email form @isoutamo , If I could verify 7.2 and attach the file and rsync, not sure if it is gonna work. I also need to upgrade our Linux to RHEL 8.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Somi

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...