Installation

Upgrade Splunk on Linux

nikhilagrawal
Path Finder

Hi

We are running Splunk 5.0.3, build 162460 on our UAT environment. I tried upgrading to latest version 6. I am following the steps described in the document.
1. Stop current Splunk instance.
2. Copy splunk-6.0-182037-Linux-x86_64.gz same directory (opt/splunk/).
3. run: tar xvfz splunk-6.0-182037-Linux-x86_64.gz under (opt/splunk/). Which created another directory "Splunk". so now there is /opt/Splunk/Splunk.
4. Then tried (mv * ../ )under opt/splunk/splunk to move all dir from new splunk instance to upper level. I thought this will overwrite the existing splunk files. But its returning error "Can't overwrite etc, Bin and some other directories.
Can someone please suggest what is wrong here?

Thanks
Nik

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bbingham
Builder

if you're going to try extracting from the already existing directory (/opt/splunk) you'll actually want to use this command:

tar -xzvf splunk-6.0-182037-Linux-x86_64.gz  --strip-components=1

This will tell the tar command to strip off the "splunk" dir during extraction and only extract the contents.

View solution in original post

bbingham
Builder

if you're going to try extracting from the already existing directory (/opt/splunk) you'll actually want to use this command:

tar -xzvf splunk-6.0-182037-Linux-x86_64.gz  --strip-components=1

This will tell the tar command to strip off the "splunk" dir during extraction and only extract the contents.

nikhilagrawal
Path Finder

slight change:
tar -xzvf splunk-6.0-182037-Linux-x86_64.gz --strip-path=1
it worked with the change.
Thanks

0 Karma

jamesarmitage
Path Finder

The --strip-components flag is appropriate for CentOS / RHEL tar. Check the manpage for your distro to determine the proper syntax.

bbingham, thank you. This tip saved me a fair bit of frustration upgrading two instances installed on the same server.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...