Installation

Unable to install appinspect v1.4

gwobben
Communicator

Hi I keep getting this error when I try to run version 1.4. 1.2 worked fine.. I'm using a fresh Debian jessie install:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/local/bin/splunk-appinspect", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('splunk-appinspect==1.4.0.86', 'console_scripts', 'splunk-appinspect')()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 356, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2476, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/pkg_resources.py", line 2195, in load
    raise ImportError("%r has no %r attribute" % (entry, attr))
ImportError: <module 'splunk_appinspect' from '/usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/splunk_appinspect/__init__.pyc'> has no 'main' attribute

Any ideas?

1 Solution

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry for the delay all, we have created a hotfix that will hopefully address the issue in AppInspect v1.4.1.88 available at the updated download link here: http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAFAK

Please let us know if you continue to see issues.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

harish_l

How to run the appinspect through cmd in windows machine

0 Karma

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Sorry for the delay all, we have created a hotfix that will hopefully address the issue in AppInspect v1.4.1.88 available at the updated download link here: http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAFAK

Please let us know if you continue to see issues.

0 Karma

harish_l

How to run the appinspect through cmd in windows machine

0 Karma

aaraneta_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

@gwobben - If the fix linked by tpavlik provided the solution to your question, please make sure you mark "Accept" under his answer. Thanks!

0 Karma

rjthibod
Champion

I had the same issue (ubuntu 16.04, no virtualenv).

I already had version 1.3 installed, so I uninstalled the splunk-appinstall pip module and then installed the new version freshly. It worked after that.

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

I'm able to run with no issues via a virtualenv on Debian Jessie - is that an option for you?

apt-get update
apt-get install python-pip
pip install virtualenv
virtualenv venv
source venv/bin/activate
pip install splunk-appinspect-1.4.0.86.tar.gz
splunk-appinspect --help

The error you're getting could be related to the previous version of appinspect (if /usr/local/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/splunk_appinspect/init.pyc was compiled using the older version then "main" would not exist) but since you indicated a clean install that shouldn't be the issue.

pgowdapp
Engager

I had followed a slightly different script ie., used mkvirtualenv (from virtualenvwrapper) to create a virtualenv, but the error remains the same.

0 Karma

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Does the path in your error "/usr/local/bin/splunk-appinspect" match the virtualenv created via mkvirtualenv?

which splunk-appinspectshould correspond to the virtualenv path.

0 Karma

pgowdapp
Engager
(appinspect14)➜  ~ which splunk-appinspect
/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/bin/splunk-appinspect
(appinspect14)➜  ~ splunk-appinspect      
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/bin/splunk-appinspect", line 9, in <module>
    load_entry_point('splunk-appinspect==1.4.0.86', 'console_scripts', 'splunk-appinspect')()
  File "/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 558, in load_entry_point
    return get_distribution(dist).load_entry_point(group, name)
  File "/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2682, in load_entry_point
    return ep.load()
  File "/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2355, in load
    return self.resolve()
  File "/Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/pkg_resources/__init__.py", line 2365, in resolve
    raise ImportError(str(exc))
ImportError: 'module' object has no attribute 'main'
0 Karma

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee
0 Karma

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We have identified the issue on our end and will have a hotfix ASAP. Sorry for the inconvenience and thank you for your patience! If you want to apply the hotfix yourself you should be able to add import main on a single line to /Users/pgowda/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk_appinspect/__init__.py

0 Karma

pgowdapp
Engager

The hotfix worked. FTR, the actual file I edited to add the import main statement was : ~/.virtualenvs/appinspect14/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk_appinspect-1.4.0.86-py2.7.egg/splunk_appinspect/__init__.py

0 Karma

gwobben
Communicator

Fantastic! Could you let us know when the fix is released? I'll accept the new release as the answer to this question.

0 Karma

tpavlik_splunk
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Will do, it is in QA now and should be posted in the next day or two here: http://dev.splunk.com/view/SP-CAAAFAK

I will post a new answer as soon as it is up.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...