Installation

Splunkd is running after ./splunk stop command

marisstella
Explorer

Hii all,
I have created a copy of splunk instance, in the same server for testing purpose.. in this new splunk we will upgrade the version n check if the apps are working fine or not...
I copied some of the apps from old one to new splunk.. but here the issue is when i run ./splunk stop.. it only stopping SPLUNKWEB and SPLUNKD is running... But when i check it splunkweb is also running...
I don't whats happening...

Can as anybody tell me how to stop splunkd n splunkweb at a time??
Can you guys Guess my situation??

Labels (2)
0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you copied Splunk while it was running then it probably copied the splunk.pid files. Therefore, when you try to stop splunk from the new copied version, it will think the old version's processes are it's own and try to stop them. Furthermore, you should be experiencing port conflicts.

I highly recommend you do not do such testing on the same machine. It will require a lot of extra work to ensure no port collisions and avoid these quirks. Copy Splunk to a new VM. This can be done with Docker, VirtualBox, cloud providers, etc...

0 Karma

sloshburch
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

What is showing you Splunk is still running?

0 Karma

nareshinsvu
Builder

Did you try stopping splunk using absolute path ? like

/opt/blah/blah/Splunk/bin/splunk stop

Check out this blog if it helps

https://wiki.splunk.com/Community:Run_multiple_Splunks_on_one_machine

0 Karma

marisstella
Explorer

Yes, I tried that.... splunk is still running only splunkweb stopped..

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...