Installation

Splunk upgrade failed from 7.0 to 8.0.2

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

While upgarding to the lastest version i get below error while is start the service
Process: 25918 ExecStart=/opt/splunk/bin/splunk start --accept-license --answer-yes --no-prompt (code=exited, status=2)
splunkd.service: control process exited, code=exited status=2

This is what the splunkd daemon error says:

An error occurred: Failed to run splunkd rest:

stdout:

stderr:splunkd: /opt/splunk/src/util/HttpClientRequest.cpp:1760: void HttpClientTransaction::_handleProxyConnect(): Assertion `_poolp->hasSslContext()' failed.
Dying on signal #6 (si_code=-6), sent by PID 26389 (UID 1002). Attempting to clean up pidfile

Anyone else seen this error before?

Labels (3)
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

This is because you have a lingering Splunk process that is preventing your upgraded version from starting.

Manually stop all Splunk services (/opt/splunk/bin/splunk stop and/or systemctl splunk stop).
Then search for any lingering processes:
ps -ef |grep -i splunk

If any are found, terminate them manually:
kill -9

Then restart Splunk.

----
An upvote would be appreciated and Accept Solution if it helps!
0 Karma

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

Sorry to say but this seems like a situation where the response seems been there , done that, kind of case :).
I have splunk installed as a service and service splunk stop works and all the process stops at once the output for ps -ef | grep -i splunk is none.
I am more keen to know more about this article here which describe my situation
https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/RunSplunkassystemdservice#Upgrade_considera...

Does anyone faced or elaborate on this section of the article.

0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

The "service" command is just a wrapper for init.d.

The init.d vs systemd topic is a long running topic of frustration/confusion for many users and is discussed in countless threads on this forum.

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

Also, this should help you configure Splunk to run on either flavor, based on your preference.
From your output, I can see that Splunk is running under systemd, and your "service" call is routing the command back to systemctl (which is expected behavior in Linux).

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.3/Admin/RunSplunkassystemdservice#Configure_systemd...

----
0 Karma

codebuilder
Influencer

BTW...this can happen for a number of reasons, but the most common I see is one version is configured to run under init.d and another under systemd.

----
0 Karma

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

I don't think the latest version 8 is configured as init.d, coz my current version 7 is configured as systemd.
But thanks for the comment.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Make sure all of the files in /opt/splunk are owned by the user running Splunk. Sign on as root and run chown -R splunk:splunk /opt/splunk.
Also, make sure to follow the upgrade instructions for all of the interim releases.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

gauravmsharma
Path Finder

Done that 🙂

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...