Installation

Splunk Enterprise license use Query

ips_mandar
Builder

Hi,
I have one Splunk Enterprise license which I am using on one Cloud hosted environment. Now recently I setup another separate Splunk enterprise server on on-premise environment and there is no connection with on-premise and cloud environment.
Then I tried to use same license (which I am using on cloud environment) on on-premise environment and I am able to use that license on on-premise environment as well. And I haven't received any error as well.

Am I doing correct or violating any rules? If violating then can you please point to any reference where it is written so that I can take further action(if required).

Note- I am aware that I can create one license master and other as slave but I am not allowed to make connection with cloud env. and on-premise env.

Thanks,

Labels (1)
0 Karma

broberg
Communicator

There is no such thing as a single-user license, as far as I know. As of version 4.2(?), there is a mechanism within Splunk, that allows several instances to share a single license.

In theory, since you can install the same license on multiple machines, you could have multiple license masters but a license slave can only be the slave of one license master.

As long as you do not go over the license limit in total amount of indexed data you should be fine.

0 Karma

ips_mandar
Builder

Thanks, I am using splunk latest version.
If I have 50GB license per day and if cloud env. splunk using 50gb license and on-premise is also using 50 gb license but there is no connection between them ... will it be allowed? since then I will use 100GB license per day without violation.

0 Karma

broberg
Communicator

Then you will override your daily license quota that is 50GB. I would talk with splunk sales representive regarding what happens if/when splunk get info on what you are doing.

0 Karma

ips_mandar
Builder

@broberg yes please let me know. appreciate the help.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

Splunk is officially part of Cisco

Revolutionizing how our customers build resilience across their entire digital footprint.   Splunk ...

Splunk APM & RUM | Planned Maintenance March 26 - March 28, 2024

There will be planned maintenance for Splunk APM and RUM between March 26, 2024 and March 28, 2024 as ...