Installation

Secondary license master server setup

chimbudp
Contributor

Is there a possibility to implement a high-availability concept in Splunk License master server?

Scenario: when the Splunk license master server goes DOWN/UNREACHABLE, Splunk indexers & forwarders connected to the master servers are orphaned (if >24hrs down), where if the secondary license master is there, which can supplement this.

No violation in license usage. Usage calculation per daily basis should be based on primary.

Any suggestion is highly appreciated.

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi chimbudp,

First to answer your question: no, this is still not possible....
But, since Splunk 6.0.5 the time range was expanded. Now a days the license master can be down 72 hours before you get a violation:

From the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.5/Admin/Aboutlicenseviolations

About the connection between the license master and license slaves
When you configure a license master instance and add license slaves to it, the license slaves communicate their usage to the license master every minute. If the license master is down or unreachable for any reason, the license slave starts a 72 hour timer. If the license slave cannot reach the license master for 72 hours, search is blocked on the license slave (although indexing continues). Users will not be able to search data in the indexes on the license slave until that slave can reach the license master again.

This will give you plenty of time to follow this instruction and replace the license master http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.5/Admin/Swapthelicensemaster with a new server or preferably a VM which you of course did a snapshot before the old one crashed / died 😉

Hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...