Installation

Migrating Splunk instance from Windows to Linux: steps to migrate apps, saved searches, permissions, and reinstall apps?

gaddams
Explorer

Hello,

We are migrating our Splunk instance from Windows to Linux. As part of the migration, we were successfully able to migrate the index data.

We would like to know the procedure to migrate apps, saved searches, permissions. Is there any migration procedure for them or do we need to reinstall the apps?

Thanks

Labels (3)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

MuS
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi gaddams,

if you follow the docs http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.1.4/Installation/MigrateaSplunkinstance#What_to_consid...
in step 2:

2. Copy the entire contents of the $SPLUNK_HOME directory from the old server to the new server.

This is where all apps, saved searches and so on will be copied to the new server.
In your case, since you already copied the indexes, exclude the $SPLUNK_DB from this copy process.

hope this helps ...

cheers, MuS

0 Karma

gaddams
Explorer

I did this but because the web server is configured to use SSL and since there is change in the binaries, I had to replace the windows binaries with linux binaries by replacing bin and lib folders and also system folder to exclude certificates.

I observed that some of the apps were not working automatically and had to be reinstalled.

Thanks

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...