Installation

Is there a way to get the spec file used to generate the Splunk 4.2 rpm?

DTERM
Contributor

Is there a way to get the spec file used to generate the splunk 4.2 RPM? I need to rebuild the RPM such that Splunk init script meets requirements. Thanks in advance.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Karma
1 Solution

netwrkr
Communicator

Try this

rpm --scripts -qp splunk-4.2.rpm

View solution in original post

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

netwrkr gave the useful answer.

The thing is the spec files are generated dynamically for each release for each build. This means we dont actually keep them. It also means they're not convenient for third-party use.

My personal recommendation is to use the tar for automation purposes. It will likely be less trouble in the end. You may have strong reasons to feel otherwise, of course.

jrodman
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

We ship a tar of the files for a given platform that comes up and works. In the Universal Forwarder, we don't even create per-machine hostname settings etc. IMO, unpack the tar, change what you need, make new tar to deploy.

0 Karma

splunker12er
Motivator

I need to modify the default installation directory of splunk
where do i change the settings ?

I know using --prefix parameter i can change the installation directory during installation, but still I needed it in a pre-built way.

thanks

0 Karma

DTERM
Contributor

Can you provide more details as to what you mean by "use the tar for automation". How do you mean? TIA.

0 Karma

netwrkr
Communicator

Try this

rpm --scripts -qp splunk-4.2.rpm

DTERM
Contributor

That is perfect. Thanks so much!!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Detecting Remote Code Executions With the Splunk Threat Research Team

WATCH NOWRemote code execution (RCE) vulnerabilities pose a significant risk to organizations. If exploited, ...

Enter the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge for Your Chance to Win!

The Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge is underway! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

.conf24 | Session Scheduler is Live!!

.conf24 is happening June 11 - 14 in Las Vegas, and we are thrilled to announce that the conference catalog ...