Installation

First Time Running Error - Mac OS.

wcgage
Path Finder

Trying to install and run for the first time on my Mac Mini.

Here is my error:

Williams-Mac-mini:bin williamgage$ ./splunk start --accept-license

This appears to be your first time running this version of Splunk.
Moving '/Applications/Splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new' to '/Applications/Splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules'.

An unforeseen error occurred:

Exception: <type 'exceptions.OSError'>, Value: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Applications/Splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new'

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1157, in main
parseAndRun(argsList)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 1004, in parseAndRun
retVal = cList.getCmd(command, subCmd).call(argList, fromCLI = True)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli.py", line 280, in call
return self.func(args, fromCLI)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/control_api.py", line 30, in wrapperFunc
return func(dictCopy, fromCLI)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/_internal.py", line 172, in firstTimeRun
comm.moveItem(migration.PATH_UI_MOD_NEW, migration.PATH_UI_MOD_ACTIVE)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli_common.py", line 942, in moveItem
ensureDeletable(src)
File "/Applications/Splunk/lib/python2.7/site-packages/splunk/clilib/cli_common.py", line 979, in ensureDeletable
os.chmod(oneItem, os.stat(oneItem).st_mode | stat.S_IWRITE)
OSError: [Errno 1] Operation not permitted: '/Applications/Splunk/share/splunk/search_mrsparkle/modules.new'

Please file a case online at http://www.splunk.com/page/submit_issue

I've checked file permissions, and made sure that everything is Read/Write for myself and the admins.

Would love to know what's going on!!!

Labels (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

wcgage
Path Finder

chown the splunk directory for Admins

View solution in original post

wcgage
Path Finder

chown the splunk directory for Admins

zakxu8

hi, i have same problem, but my splunk directory is already Admins. so anyone solution for me? thx

0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

Please chown the directory to the user:group and try to do what you were doing.

Thanks,
Raghav

wcgage
Path Finder

Once I chown for the admin group, all is well!

0 Karma

Raghav2384
Motivator

Please accept the answer that helped you, @Mus's or @Raghav2384's 🙂

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Raghav

0 Karma

MuS
Legend

Is the read/write permission also granted to the user running Splunk? Check /Applications/Splunk/etc/splunk-lauch.conffor the OS_USERsetting to see the user that will run Splunk - most likely it will be splunk

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...