Installation

Best approach to transfer Knowledge objects and app from one search head cluster to another?

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello Splunkers ,

I am trying to figure out what is the best approach or steps to migrate all the knowledge objects(searches, dashboards , fields alias etc) and apps from one search head cluster to another search head cluster.

What would be the steps to perform and things to do in order to move them.

Thanks in advance 

Labels (4)
0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vrmandadi,

are you speaking of install an App in more SHCs (in different sites) or are you speaking of forwarding updates from one SHC to another?

If the first, you could use a Deployment Server to deploy the App to each Deployer, and Deployers will deploy App to the SHC memebers.

if the second, the only solution is to have one SHC in both the sites, so alignments will be automated.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Hello @gcusello  ...thank you for your reply . I am trying to migrate all the contents(KO,Dashboards,reports) from a search head cluster in a data center to a search head cluster which is in a  totally different data center 

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vrmandadi,

if you have to copy, one shot, the apps from a site to another, you can copy apps from a member of the first cluster to the deployer of the second and deploy them.

It's different to maintain aligned both the clusters, for this reason I hinted to have one cluster in both sides.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma

vrmandadi
Builder

Thank you .So I just copy etc/apps folder from one of the search head in a SITE and then place that app in etc/shcluster/apps folder and then do a deploy?

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @vrmandadi,

Yes, you have to copy only the apps to deploy, not the standard apps of splunk (e.g. splunkforwarder or search or launcher).

Remember to take the apps from a member of the first SHC not from the Deployer of the first SHC, and then copy them in the Deployer of the second SHC and deploy them.

Ciao.

Giuseppe

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...