Getting Data In

where splunk store syslog data?

channy
Explorer

I install splunk and add syslog port as the input data. i wonder where splunk store the syslog that it received? Do splunk differentiate between the syslog message and the indexed data?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, it does not differentiate. All data processed by Splunk - be it syslog data, files being read, or other network sockets - is stored in various Splunk indexes. The syslog message IS the indexed data.

View solution in original post

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

No, it does not differentiate. All data processed by Splunk - be it syslog data, files being read, or other network sockets - is stored in various Splunk indexes. The syslog message IS the indexed data.

channy
Explorer

thanks imrago...very helpful tool....
thanks dwaddle for the clarification....

0 Karma

dwaddle
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Any data Splunk indexes is stored in an index data structure called a bucket. The internal format of Splunk's buckets is proprietary to the product - so you can't (easily) go poking about inside of a bucket trying to read and understand it.

If you wish to have other software work with your log data, there are some options. Imrago's suggestion of using rsyslog first (and letting splunk read the files it makes) is a good one. Also, you can configure splunk to forward events over a TCP socket to thirs party software.

0 Karma

imrago
Contributor

You could instead of directly ingesting syslog messages into Splunk to first store in a file remote syslog events, using for example rsyslog (http://www.rsyslog.com/storing-messages-from-a-remote-system-into-a-specific-file/), and to point Splunk to that file.

channy
Explorer

thanks for the confirmation. and where is this data stored? Is this meaning that i can't use the syslog messages that Splunk received with other syslog software?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...