Getting Data In

where command with multiple sourcetypes

msarro
Builder

Greetings.
I am using multiple sourcetypes in a query that I am working with. If you open a search using something like this

sourcetype=SOURCE1 OR sourcetype=SOURCE2 OR sourcetype=SOURCE3

Playing around, if I try to filter anything with SOURCE1's events, all of the events from SOURCE2 and SOURCE3 get eliminated as well. For example (where AS_AS_Call_Type is an event field found only in SOURCE1):

sourcetype=SOURCE1 or sourcetype=SOURCE2 OR sourcetype=SOURCE3 AS_AS_Call_Type=network

Only events of SOURCE1 get returned. What I want is to keep all of the events from SOURCE2 and SOURCE3, along with the filtered events of SOURCE1.

How can I do this?

1 Solution

sophy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi!

Perhaps what you're trying to do is:

(sourcetype=SOURCE1 AS_AS_Call_Type=network) OR sourcetype=SOURCE2 OR sourcetype=SOURCE3

This will match events with "sourcetype=SOURCE1 AND AS_AS_Call_Type=network", as well as the other two sourcetypes.

Does that make sense?

View solution in original post

sophy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

Hi!

Perhaps what you're trying to do is:

(sourcetype=SOURCE1 AS_AS_Call_Type=network) OR sourcetype=SOURCE2 OR sourcetype=SOURCE3

This will match events with "sourcetype=SOURCE1 AND AS_AS_Call_Type=network", as well as the other two sourcetypes.

Does that make sense?

msarro
Builder

Makes sense! The only command that seems not to be working is isnotnull(field) but I can do without that for now. Thank you!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...

Routing logs with Splunk OTel Collector for Kubernetes

The Splunk Distribution of the OpenTelemetry (OTel) Collector is a product that provides a way to ingest ...

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...