Getting Data In

upgrade forwarder to Splunk 6 without reboot

jonthanze
Explorer

Hi

i have several windows servers with the Splunk universal forwarder version 5.xx.
I wanted to upgrade my forwarders to 6.0 but each time i run the install file of 6 i request me rebooting my server.

Isn't there a way to upgrade my forwarders without rebooting the servers ?

0 Karma
1 Solution

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Are you stopping the splunkd service prior to the install? If you don't, then I'm pretty sure a reboot is required to finish cleaning things up in a Windows environment.

View solution in original post

rickjury
Explorer

This happened to us when we started upgrading forwarders in production even though it never happened on 100 non prod ones. This should be in the manual in huge letters somewhere...

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

No problem

0 Karma

jonthanze
Explorer

thanks a lot, that helped !

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Are you stopping the splunkd service prior to the install? If you don't, then I'm pretty sure a reboot is required to finish cleaning things up in a Windows environment.

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Index This | I am a number, but when you add ‘G’ to me, I go away. What number am I?

March 2024 Edition Hayyy Splunk Education Enthusiasts and the Eternally Curious!  We’re back with another ...

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...