Getting Data In

splunk app/work around to track the executed SQL server queries

summer
Observer

I want to track the executed SQL server queries, however I don't want to enable trace log because it would impact SQL server I/O and consume a lot of local space. So, I don't have any sql server trace logs (*.trc files) stored in the server/DB. Is there any work around or splunk app can track the executed SQL server queries?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

dmacintosh_splu
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

If you are not able to ingest data that already is produced that contains the query information, you could explore Splunk Stream to pull out the SQL query from the wire data. This could be quite the change so comparing it against enabling the trace log might be a good exercise. If the traffic is encrypted, the cert will be required to decrypt the traffic but you would be able to see the query, transaction times, etc.

The following Splunk Lantern use case is very applicable to your question as well using Splunk Stream. https://lantern.splunk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360053617474-Analyzing-wire-data-from-databases

0 Karma

summer
Observer

Thanks for the quick response. it seems it requires some changes on  sql server network setting?

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...