Getting Data In

setting the default date format for events

las
Contributor

I have a date in my input files 08-11-12, This date could be August 11. 2012, or (as is the case) November 8. 2012, as I use European date-format.

It looks like Splunk likes to use the American date-format before using the European, so it thinks the event was written in august.

How do I change the default behavior, so that it first uses European format, and then American?

Kind regards

Tags (1)
0 Karma
1 Solution

las
Contributor

I used the comment from dart.
A little more work, but it works.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

las
Contributor

I used the comment from dart.
A little more work, but it works.

0 Karma

las
Contributor

Thanks - as usual very helpful info.

0 Karma

dart
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

It's better to do this with a TIME_FORMAT for each sourcetype, but otherwise you could create your own datetime.xml and then use the default stanza to specify using your copy of datetime.xml.

Ayn
Legend

These issues are typically found on a per-sourcetype basis, so setting a global default is kind of dangerous. But, if you really know what you are doing you could set a global setting using the [default] stanza in props.conf.

las
Contributor

Yes, but isn't that on a sourcetype basis. I want to default use the European formats before the American.

0 Karma

kristian_kolb
Ultra Champion

Check out the TIME_FORMAT parameter for props.conf. With that you specify how the incoming timestamps should be parsed.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...