Getting Data In

serverclass.conf whitelist from pathname not working

justincoon

Hello,

I've got a 100% Windows environment with a deployment server and I'm trying to configure server classes so we can automatically distribute config to servers based on their environment/roles. Using just name regex matches (whitelist.0 = regex) isn't going to work well with how random the names are, so I'd like to use "whitelist.from_pathname" instead with a csv or text file fed from one of my automation servers, but I just can't get it to work or the UI is lying to me.

I tried csv files first, two columns (ComputerName,EnvironmentName), using select_field, where_field and where_equals to filter by EnvironmentName and that didn't seem to work. Then I tried just a plain text file list (one server name per line) and that didn't work. I thought maybe it didn't like absolute paths (D:\) so I tried a relative path "etc\deployment-apps\DevServerList.txt" and that didn't work either. So I tried forward slashes. I've been restarting splunkd in between edits.

This is basically what the CSV stanza looked like:

[serverClass:DevelopmentServers]
whitelist.select_field = ComputerName
whitelist.from_pathname = D:\Automation\ServerEnvironmentList.csv
whitelist.where_field = EnvironmentName
whitelist.where_equals = Development*

When I inspect clients in Forwarder Management > Clients they're all showing nothing for Server Classes, but the moment I switch the serverClass back to whitelist.0 with some sample names they start showing up. What am I missing?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

zzo
Observer

Hi,

According to the documentation :

The <pathname> is relative to $SPLUNK_HOME.

So it won't work if the file is outside $SPLUNK_HOME.

Put it in 

etc/Automation/ServerEnvironmentList.csv

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...