Getting Data In

regex - Remove characters from results field.

nlisle

Hello,

I have produced a search result field which looks something along the lines of BC000000$@ab.firmakhueny.abc\ (I have obfuscated the data however they are the same category).

What I would like to create is a regex or something similar which may do the job better to remove all data before and after "000000" and to only present this field in the table created. To confirm I have replicated the original field and added in quotation marks presenting the data that we would like presented after the regex - BC"000000"$@ab.firmakhueny.abc\ .

Thank you for the support in adavance.

N.

0 Karma
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To extract the numeric portion into a new field, this rex command should do the job.

... | rex field=foo "(?<newfield>\d+)" | ...

To replace the entire field with just the numeric portion, try this.

... | rex field=foo mode=sed "s/([^\d]+)(\d+)(.*)/\2/" | ...
---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

To extract the numeric portion into a new field, this rex command should do the job.

... | rex field=foo "(?<newfield>\d+)" | ...

To replace the entire field with just the numeric portion, try this.

... | rex field=foo mode=sed "s/([^\d]+)(\d+)(.*)/\2/" | ...
---
0 Karma

nlisle

Thank you for your response richgalloway. I have implemented the second rex command to replace the entire field with the six character numeric field from the initial search field however I am given this result "$2".

Thanks,
N

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Ah, sorry about that. Regex101.com and Splunk use different substitution methods. I've corrected my answer.

---
0 Karma

nlisle

Thanks that worked!

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What’s New in Splunk App for PCI Compliance 5.3.1?

The Splunk App for PCI Compliance allows customers to extend the power of their existing Splunk solution with ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Register to join us !   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to ...

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...