Getting Data In

multi-line event props.conf confusion

iom100uk
Explorer

I'm trying to get the results of a script which outputs a largeish table into splunk, but something isn't right in the way that the results are being split into different events.

I want the complete table (about 100 lines) to be contained in one event so I can do magic with a multikv command.  At the moment, each run is spilt across events - some are 60+ lines, some a single lines and some between those.

The actual script is being run on a search head, which has all it's outputs being forwarded to the indexer. The script should starts output with the literal characters BOF and end EOF - this works fine when run directly.  Config files below:

inputs.conf:

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps/stem-snmp/bin/stem-snmptable.sh]
disabled=false
index=main
interval=60
sourcetype=stem-snmptable

props.conf:

[stem-snmptable]
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT
EVENT_BREAKER_ENABLE = true
EVENT_BREAKER = "(EOF)"
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
category = Custom
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false

On the indexer  I have the following in a custom app local folder (is this right?)

[stem-snmptable]
NO_BINARY_CHECK = true
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = true
category = Custom
pulldown_type = 1
disabled = false
MUST_BREAK_AFTER = "(EOF)"
MUST_NOT_BREAK_AFTER = "(BOF)"
DATETIME_CONFIG = CURRENT

So, where have I gone wrong. Do I need to put the indexer props.conf in a different location? Have I misunderstood the break and linemerge configs?

Any help much appreciated.

Labels (1)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge!

Welcome to Splunk Community Dashboard Challenge! This is your chance to showcase your skills in creating ...

Built-in Service Level Objectives Management to Bridge the Gap Between Service & ...

Wednesday, May 29, 2024  |  11AM PST / 2PM ESTRegister now and join us to learn more about how you can ...

Get Your Exclusive Splunk Certified Cybersecurity Defense Engineer Certification at ...

We’re excited to announce a new Splunk certification exam being released at .conf24! If you’re headed to Vegas ...