Getting Data In

how can I keep the original host name in my summary index?

w199284
Explorer

I would like to duplicate a subset of events to another index. Just an exact duplicate of the original event. Summary indexing works great (as does collect) with the exception that I lose the original host and source information. I need the host. Source would be nice. I have not been able to figure out how to get those values in my summary index. I just don't have the knowledge to see the solution. Can someone help me out?

I have spent a few days looking at other Answers but could not find any that just wanted an exact duplicate event. Actually metasearch came close to doing what I wanted but gave me errors having to do with exceeded maxsearches - and was noticeably slow.

I feel like this ought to be a straightforward thing to do but, after a few days trial and error, I am humbled. I greatly appreciate any help. Thank You.

0 Karma

dflodstrom
Builder

You can use an eval to store the original host value: | eval orig_host=host | collect ...

kpkeimig
Path Finder

Watch your output format, the default is raw, optionally can set it to output_format=hec which would pass fields (and not redo extraction).

Example for a raw:
index=_audit source=audittrail sourcetype=audittrail host=sh* user=*
| eval _raw=_raw . ", " . "orig_host=" . host
| collect index=test source=audittrail sourcetype=audittrail

0 Karma

w199284
Explorer

Thank you dflodstrom! I tried this technique and it sort of worked. I did not get a new field in my summary index named orig_host but the source value WAS updated to the original hostname. It is quite likely I am omitting something. There is so much I don't know about Splunk!

Before adding "eval" source = /opt/splunk/var/spool/splunk/c4f34f0ea0dcaeb2_events.stash_new

After adding "eval" source = abc.xyz.com

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...