Getting Data In

file descriptor cache is full - trimming...

a212830
Champion

Hi,

I'm getting a lot of "File descriptor cache is full (100), trimming..." messages on a couple of my windows servers that are running UF. Can someone tell me what this means?

rgcurry
Contributor

I have gotten this too when the Forwarder has been setup on a server with a lot of files in the monitored directory. This message indicates that there are more files than the Forwarder can handle at one time. It is not a problem, notice that the message level is set to "INFO". Within time, and this depends upon how many files you have and the number of open files handles are defined for the Forwarder, it will catch up and process all of your logs.

You can get more specific info with the Answer to the question "4.1.2 upgrade TailingProcessor - File descriptor cache is full"

Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...