Getting Data In

disable learned sourcetype

ray88

I am using Splunk universal forwarder 8.1.1 on a linux server configured as a log aggregator.  I have 7 well defined sourcetypes defined on inputs.conf based on log files in the following directories: /var/log/remote/LINUX, /var/log/remote/NETWORK, /var/log/remote/VMWARE.

inputs.conf for LINUX directory

[monitor:///var/log/remote/LINUX/*.log

host_regex = LINUX\/(.+)_.+\.log

index=linux-log

sourcetype=linux-messages

disabled = 0

When I do a search I see sourcetypes like (in addition to ones defined in inputs.conf)

cron-4

syslog

cisco-4

I traced these back to learned sourcetypes.  The ciso-r sourcetype is looking at a file in /var/log/remote.  Given the sourcetypes I have defined I would not expect any visibility into that directory.

Is there a way to disable the learned sourcetypes? Or whitelist the ones I want?

Labels (2)
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Sourcetypes are defined in props.conf, not in inputs.conf.  The sourcetype=foo setting in inputs.conf just tells Splunk which props.conf stanza to apply to the data from that input.  If there is no such stanza in props.conf then it becomes a learned sourcetype (and probably learned incorrectly).

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...