Getting Data In

curl (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to .splunkcloud.com:8089

bschaap
Path Finder

I'm following the REST API tutorial with Splunk Cloud but receiving the error below. Url, ip address, username, and password are sanitized.

curl -v -k -u : https://deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089/servicesNS//search/saved/searches/ -d name=mysearch -d search=*

* Hostname was NOT found in DNS cache

* Trying ##.###.###.###...

* Connected to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com (##.###.###.###) port 8089 (#0)

* successfully set certificate verify locations:

* CAfile: none

CApath: /etc/ssl/certs

* SSLv3, TLS handshake, Client hello (1):

* Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089

* Closing connection 0

curl: (35) Unknown SSL protocol error in connection to deployment-name.splunkcloud.com:8089

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

bschaap
Path Finder

This turned out to be a firewall issue even though it did not appear to be initially. See comments for more details.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Sobhiapetter

Like you I am using ERR SSL PROTOCOL ERROR Not Responding site to get that error solution, and believe me I found the perfect solutions from that site and there is the number of problems described and their solution in the perfect manner.

0 Karma

bschaap
Path Finder

This turned out to be a firewall issue even though it did not appear to be initially. See comments for more details.

0 Karma

gjanders
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You are already using the insecure switch, can you confirm that curl has the available SSL libraries? Such as running against https://google.com ?

Also double check the curl --version ...

0 Karma

bschaap
Path Finder

It turns out that this was a firewall issue. It didn't appear to be initially because the behavior was different when trying an invalid port instead of 8089. Using an invalid port would wait for a timeout. Port 8089 didn't timeout and instead returned the error message immediately. Once the firewall was modified to allow port 8089 outbound then it began working.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...