Getting Data In

configure universal forwarder with cluster master

dordavid
Explorer

Hey,

i have 3 indexes and 3 Search heads.

i also have a cluster master server.

i'm trying to connect my universal-forwarder in order to send logs from remote servers to the indexers (through the cluster master)

how can i to configure the connection between the UF and the clusterMaster?

Thanks u for helping! 

Labels (3)
0 Karma

thambisetty
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

I believe you are looking for Indexer discovery option.

please find below link useful.

https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Indexer/indexerdiscovery

————————————
If this helps, give a like below.
0 Karma

jwilliams
Explorer

I have the same question.  With only one search head.  The documentation says to send to the receiver.

0 Karma

jwilliams
Explorer

I believe there are two answers to this question.... 

the old way - have the forwarder send to multiple indexers

the Indexers Discovery Method -  Indexer discovery is available only for forwarding to indexer clusters. Each forwarder queries the master node for a list of all peer nodes in the cluster. It then uses load balancing to forward data to the set of peer nodes.

0 Karma

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi @dordavid,

as @isoutamo said, it isn't possible to install or update a Universal forwarder from a Splunk server, but it's possible to push configurations to UFs.

To do this, you have to configure in your UFs a file (called deploymentclient.conf) where's the address of the Deployment Server, a Splunk server with the role to check and push configurations to UFs.

Deployment server must be a dedicated server if it has to manage more than 50 UFs, otherwise it can share this role with another one, but not Master Node, Indexer or Search Head.

So, you don't see any UF in your Master Node because you didin't configured deploymentclient.conf in UFs.

At the end: the correct approach to manage UFs is the following:

• plan your deployment listing all the servers to manage with Deployment server and identifying for each the apps to deploy;
  • check that all the firewall routes are open between:
    • UFs and Deployment Server on port 8089,
    • UFs and Indexers and Master Node on port 9997;
  • install a Deployment Server, possibly on a dedicated server,
  • install Universal Forwarder on the target servers;
  • create a Technical Add-On (called e.g. TA_Forwarders) containing two files (deploymentclient.conf and outputs.conf):
    • in the first put the address of the Deployment Server,
    • in the second the addresses of the indexers or of the Master Node);
  • copy the TA_forwarders in every target server in $SPLUNK_HOME/etc/apps;
  • restart Splunk in every targer server.

In this way, you'll be able to see in [Settings -- Forwarder Management] all the UFs and at this point you'll be able to create the ServerClasses to deploy configurations to UFs.

You can find a guide to the above steps at https://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/8.0.5/Updating/Aboutdeploymentserver (read carefully these pages before to start!).

Ciao.

Giuseppe

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust
0 Karma

dordavid
Explorer

i entered to the cluster master GUI and into:

[setting ->forwarder management]

i didn't see any forwarder and i don't understand how to fix it 

0 Karma

isoutamo
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You must first install forwarders and define that those are sending logs to the indexer cluster. Then if you want to use deployment server you could star to define needed apps / input etc there. 
Splunk haven’t any capability to install or upgrade UF, it just delivers configurations to the installed UF if/when they are registered to Deployment server.
r. Ismo

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

What's new in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312?

Hi Splunky people! We are excited to share the newest updates in Splunk Cloud Platform 9.1.2312! Analysts can ...

What’s New in Splunk Security Essentials 3.8.0?

Splunk Security Essentials (SSE) is an app that can amplify the power of your existing Splunk Cloud Platform, ...

Let’s Get You Certified – Vegas-Style at .conf24

Are you ready to level up your Splunk game? Then, let’s get you certified live at .conf24 – our annual user ...