Getting Data In

automatically forward splunk data to database

nielsenr

Ok so I am new to splunk and have an instance set up with logs from several servers feeding into it.
My question is can i get the data from splunk into a database(probably mysql) automatically.
There seems to be no clear explanation to say whether this is possible or not.

I have read a bit about the splunk forwarder would this be able to do it? once more there is no real explanation I can find.

Any suggestions would be helpful
thanks

0 Karma
1 Solution

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

A couple of approaches :

1) The Splunk MYSQL connector includes a search command, mysqloutput, that you can use to insert or update records in a table in a MySQL database based on fields resulting from your Splunk search.

2) you could use one of the Developer SDKs, write a custom program to execute a Splunk search , process the XML/JSON/CSV result and roll this up into a SQL statement to insert/update tables in your database.

3) you could write your own custom search command , and insert this at the end of you search pipeline to insert/update your DB tables with Splunk search fields ie: index=foo sourcetype=goo | stats count by host | myCustomOutputToDBCommand

View solution in original post

0 Karma

Damien_Dallimor
Ultra Champion

A couple of approaches :

1) The Splunk MYSQL connector includes a search command, mysqloutput, that you can use to insert or update records in a table in a MySQL database based on fields resulting from your Splunk search.

2) you could use one of the Developer SDKs, write a custom program to execute a Splunk search , process the XML/JSON/CSV result and roll this up into a SQL statement to insert/update tables in your database.

3) you could write your own custom search command , and insert this at the end of you search pipeline to insert/update your DB tables with Splunk search fields ie: index=foo sourcetype=goo | stats count by host | myCustomOutputToDBCommand

0 Karma

RohiniJindam
Path Finder

@nielsenr I am trying to achieve something similar to what you stated. Could you find a solution?

0 Karma

nielsenr

Thanks for the feedback
I have already looked at MYSQL connector and unless I'm mistaken it seems to only to be able to insert into a table data that has been searched form the database(please correct me if I'm wrong)

I am currently using the SDK's provided but was hoping for an easier solution (just being lazy)

umm, a custom search command never crossed my mind I'll have a look at that and see if it's useful.

Ill keep this updated with what I do. I have a feeling I'm not the first person to wonder about this, of course anymore suggestions would be welcome

0 Karma

Takajian
Builder

Splunk forwarder can forward data to splunk other instance or third party software like syslogd with text format. I do not think splunk forwarder can foward data to mysql. you will need to make script to geta data from splunk and put into the mysql.

0 Karma

nielsenr

Thanks for clearing that up

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...