_audit index data retention in Splunk cluster

pcsegal1
Explorer

Hi,

I have a Splunk cluster that consists of:
- 1 cluster master
- 3 indexers
- 1 search head

The indexes at the search head are configured to be forwarded to the indexers.

I would like to set a retention period shorter than the 6-year default to the _audit index in this Splunk cluster.

Normally, to deploy indexes to the indexers, the procedure I use is to create an app with an indexes.conf inside the cluster master's master-apps directory, then push the configuration. However, I'm unsure if this procedure would work for _audit.

How should I go about changing the retention period of the _audit index in all the indexers?

0 Karma
1 Solution

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @pcsegal1,
for my experience, you could have two different approaches, both correct and efficient:

• you could have all the indexes in a dedicated TA (called e.g. TA_Indexers) located in %SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps, that contains indexes.conf and eventually props.conf and transforms.conf of all your apps , then put in %SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local indexes.conf for internal indexes (as _audit); in this way you divide physically and concettually your configuration files on Indexers Cluster;
  • in the above TA_Indexers, put all the conf files, both of internal and external indexes.

I prefer the first one, but also the second is correct.

In both cases, remember to add comments to each stanza.

Also the _audit index and the other internal indexes can be managed in this way.

Only one attention: choose the correct retention period related with your security policies and your regulation (e.g. in Italy audit logs must be archived at least for six months).

Ciao and Merry Christmas.
Giuseppe

View solution in original post

gcusello
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

HI @pcsegal1,
for my experience, you could have two different approaches, both correct and efficient:

• you could have all the indexes in a dedicated TA (called e.g. TA_Indexers) located in %SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps, that contains indexes.conf and eventually props.conf and transforms.conf of all your apps , then put in %SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local indexes.conf for internal indexes (as _audit); in this way you divide physically and concettually your configuration files on Indexers Cluster;
  • in the above TA_Indexers, put all the conf files, both of internal and external indexes.

I prefer the first one, but also the second is correct.

In both cases, remember to add comments to each stanza.

Also the _audit index and the other internal indexes can be managed in this way.

Only one attention: choose the correct retention period related with your security policies and your regulation (e.g. in Italy audit logs must be archived at least for six months).

Ciao and Merry Christmas.
Giuseppe

pcsegal1
Explorer

I applied your first approach (put in %SPLUNK_HOME/etc/master-apps/_cluster/local an indexes.conf file for the _audit index) and it worked as expected. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...

Introducing Splunk Enterprise 9.2

WATCH HERE! Watch this Tech Talk to learn about the latest features and enhancements shipped in the new Splunk ...