Getting Data In

Windows Universal Forwarder won't stop sending performance data

ptierney
  • Splunk Linux Indexer 4.2.3
  • Splunk Universal Forwarder for Windows 4.2.3-1055
  • Windows Server 2008 Standard

Playing with the Windows App, I realized I was sending the wrong type of data to my linux indexer. I was sending perfmon data when I wanted to send WMI data. I've successfully installed a wmi.conf file and am collecting that data (thank you, MarioM). But when I remove the perfmon scripts from my inputs.conf and restart splunk, it just keeps sending the perfdata. The contents of my inputs.conf file, are pretty basic.

[default]
host = DOLLAR

That's it. I've also tried rebooting, no change. What am I missing?

0 Karma

gkanapathy
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

There are many places for an inputs.conf file to reside. In fact, an infinite number.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/latest/Admin/Aboutconfigurationfiles

Probably your config was in %SPLUNK_HOME%\etc\apps\windows\local\ or etc\apps\search\local\.

0 Karma

ptierney

I thought of this, and have searched through all inputs.conf file in the $SPLUNK_HOME\etc dirs. The splunkperfom entry appears in two places, etc\system\local and etc\system\defaults. It appears in etc\systems\defaults not matter how I install the splunk fowarder, and it is always with disabled = 0, so I don't think that's it. The other entry is where I've manually disabled it.

0 Karma

ptierney

So, I have a workaround, I suppose, but I'd like to understand how this works so I know what/where to edit for changes in the future.

0 Karma

ptierney

BTW, if I completely uninstall and reinstall splunk, it stops sending perfdata, and the local/inputs.conf file looks the same, so apparently it gets set somewhere during the install, but not in local.

Also, it appears that placing this in local\inputs.conf

[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts\splunk-perfmon.path]
interval = 10000000
source = PerformanceMonitor
sourcetype = PerformanceMonitor
disabled = 1
queue = winparsing
persistentQueueSize=50MB

Prevents it from sending the data. But this doesn't exist in a client where I didn't check the perf option checkboxes.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Introducing the 2024 SplunkTrust!

Hello, Splunk Community! We are beyond thrilled to announce our newest group of SplunkTrust members!  The ...

Introducing the 2024 Splunk MVPs!

We are excited to announce the 2024 cohort of the Splunk MVP program. Splunk MVPs are passionate members of ...

Splunk Custom Visualizations App End of Life

The Splunk Custom Visualizations apps End of Life for SimpleXML will reach end of support on Dec 21, 2024, ...