Getting Data In

Why my _audit index search are not returning any results?

franklinc
Loves-to-Learn

Hi everyone,

I have a Splunk Enterprise standalone instance. It is running on Ubuntu server 14.04.6 LTS.

I recently upgraded from 6.5 to 7.2 and from there to 8.1.0.

There are a few custom apps installed on this Splunk instance.

Like a month ago, I realized that the searches to the _audit index weren't returning any result. 

/opt/splunk/var/log/splunk/audit.log file is receiving data, and permissions are ok.

It seems like the data is not being monitored and injected in the _audit index. I have already checked and compared backup files to find the missing link here, but no luck, and I can't find any significant error in the splunkd.log file.

Please, any suggestions?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

franklinc
Loves-to-Learn

OK, I have found the issue.

A custom-made app (implemented long before I took control of the Splunk Instance) is setting up the environment to enable the forwarding of local instance data and metrics to a SOC layer. That worked just fine before the latest upgrades (from 6.5 to 7.2 to 8.1). When I disable the forwarding, the audit data is injected back in the local _audit index, and it breaks again as soon as I enable the forwarding.

Now that forwarding is necessary, it can't be disabled, but now I'm trying to figure out how to save a copy of the audit data without impacting the rest of the saved searches and forwarded data. I know I could select the option to make a local copy of the forwarded data. Still, I don't know what the consequences could be since it has been working for a while without the option "store a local copy of forwarded events" enabled. 

Any suggestions?

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Verify your role has access to the _audit index.

Make sure the searches are specifying the index name explicitly rather than depending on _audit to be on the list of default indexes (which can change).

Verify the audit.log file is being monitored.  Use splunk list monitor to check.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

franklinc
Loves-to-Learn

Verify your role has access to the _audit index.

> Yes, the role has access.

Make sure the searches are specifying the index name explicitly rather than depending on _audit to be on the list of default indexes (which can change).

>Yes, search specify the _audit index

Verify the audit.log file is being monitored.  Use splunk list monitor to check

> After running 'splunk list monitor' it shows the ...splunk/audit.log is being monitored.

The last event indexed in _audit was from 16 days ago.

I did try deleting the _audit index data and generating a new one, and it didn't work.

Tags (1)
0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...