Getting Data In

Why isn't the receiver receiving files from universal forwarder?

dinaabdelhakam
Path Finder

I have 2 Linux machines.

I installed the universal forwarder on one of them and configured the inputs.conf and outputs.conf files to get the data from a file on the same machine and forward it to the second machine. And, when I ran the ./splunk list monitor command, the file I need to be monitored appeared.

On the second one, I installed Splunk Enterprise and now, I need to receive the file mentioned above from the universal forwarder to view on Splunk web but it doesn't work.

Can anyone help me please..?

0 Karma
1 Solution

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are 3 basic steps not including restarts.
1: Start an Indexer listening on port 9997 (splunktcp in inputs.conf).
2: Configure the forwarder to send everything to the indexer (outputs.conf).
3: Configure the forwarder to something specific to the indexer (monitor in inputs.conf).
4: Restart Splunk on each box after configuring one of these files.

View solution in original post

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

There are 3 basic steps not including restarts.
1: Start an Indexer listening on port 9997 (splunktcp in inputs.conf).
2: Configure the forwarder to send everything to the indexer (outputs.conf).
3: Configure the forwarder to something specific to the indexer (monitor in inputs.conf).
4: Restart Splunk on each box after configuring one of these files.

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

"It doesn't work" isn't much to go on.
Have you set up the second machine to receive data? Is the forwarder sending to the right address and port (typically 9997)? Is a firewall getting in the way? Is there anything in splunkd.log on either machine that might explain what is going on?

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

dinaabdelhakam
Path Finder

Thank you so much it worked

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

We're glad you have it working. Would you mind posting an answer explaining what you did to get it to work? Then accept that answer so future readers with similar problems can find your solution.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

dinaabdelhakam
Path Finder

I just forgot to configure the listening port

0 Karma

harsmarvania57
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Hi,

Have you looked at documentation http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/7.2.0/Data/Getstartedwithgettingdatain and then next 4-5 pages to use universal forwarders & receiving port on Splunk Enterprise ?

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...