Getting Data In

Why is this props.conf not stripping headers for bro logs?

croose
Engager

Am I missing something? My understanding of splunk 6 is that the following configuration should strip all lines beginning with '#' and parse the line beginning with '#fields' for field names, starting after the text #fields[tab]. However, headers are not being stripped and fields are being parsed beginning with #fields, so they are one column off. I think I need some assistance from someone who understands splunk better than me, because I'm going crazy trying to understand why this isn't working.

props.conf:
[brolog]
PREAMBLE_REGEX=^#
FIELD_HEADER_REGEX=^#fields\t
FIELD_DELIMITER=\t
MISSING_VALUE_REGEX=-

alaorath
Path Finder

I had almost the exact same issue (although my "header block" was only 2 lines).
I found that no variations of PREAMBLE_REGEX (despite passing the regex101.com test) would properly filter out the header lines... UNTIL I added HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER as well.

After experimenting, I found that any value of HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER worked (as long as it wasn't greater than the actual header block... <=3 in my case)

The exact settings I ending up using:

HEADER_FIELD_LINE_NUMBER=1
PREAMBLE_REGEX=^#.*

My log file looks something like:

# Created on Jan 1, 2014
# Created by /opt/procys/ProcessResults.sh
2014-01-01 00:00 Something, something, normal log data here
2014-01-01 01:00 Something, something, normal log data here
2014-01-01 02:00 Something, something, normal log data here
0 Karma

the_wolverine
Champion

But I don't see a header field in your sample log file. Did you just leave it out?

0 Karma

jjensenyahoo
Explorer

By no means an expert, but reading the docs, seems like you need to:

1. in PREAMBLE_REGEX, specify the regex to match the whole line to throwaway.. perhaps ^#.*
  2. in FIELD_HEADER_REGEX, need to regex capture the actual part of the line which has the field headers to extract, perhaps ^#fields\t(.*)

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.0.3/Data/Extractfieldsfromfileheadersatindextime

Ayn
Legend

Also are you doing this on a forwarder or an indexer?

0 Karma

yannK
Splunk Employee
Splunk Employee

please paste a sample of your actual logs.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...

New in Observability Cloud - Explicit Bucket Histograms

Splunk introduces native support for histograms as a metric data type within Observability Cloud with Explicit ...