Getting Data In

Why is the time difference not evaluating correctly?

aohls
Contributor

I am working to find the difference between two events and have the following:

| stats earliest(_time) as startTime, latest(_time) as endTime by JobName
| eval time=strftime(_time, "%H:%M:%S")
| eval runTime=(endTime-startTime)
| eval runTime=strftime(runTime,"%H:%M:%S")
| table JobName, runTime

I am getting back a runTime of 22:43:35, which is not what I expect or want. I would like the time to show starting from 0, I want the runTime to show in a format of 03:23:00; 3 hours and 23 minutes.

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Try this:

... | stats range(_time) AS runTime BY JobName
| table JobName, runTime
| fieldformat runTime = tostring(runTime, "duration")
0 Karma

somesoni2
Revered Legend

Give this a try

| eval time=strftime(_time, "%H:%M:%S")
| eval runTime=tostring(runTime,"duration")
| table JobName, runTime
0 Karma

sumanssah
Communicator

Minor Revisions 😛

| eval time=strftime(runTime, "%H:%M:%S")
| table JobName, time
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Yeah, tostring(runTime,"duration") should work.

0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

Would this mean that I cannot use the runTime in a timechart? The runTime is the running of jobs and I was looking to show the daily runs to graph over time.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

runtime is just the number of seconds between start and end time. Not sure how you envisioned timecharting that 🙂
You might want to take a look at visualization add-ons that are perhaps more suitable for displaying job runtimes over time. e.g.: https://splunkbase.splunk.com/app/3120/

Also: not sure what that | eval time=strftime(_time, "%H:%M:%S") is doing there, as there is no _time field anymore after that stats command. But then again, you're not using that field anyway.

PS: you could also do | stats range(_time) as runTime by JobName| eval runTime=tostring(runTime,"duration") . But if you really want to visualize the job run on a timescale, you are probably going to need those start and end time values.

0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

That makes sense. The idea was that these jobs run every day so I wanted to keep track of the run time to chart how long it is taking over time; really to trend the items over time.

0 Karma

FrankVl
Ultra Champion

You could of course just timechart the daily runtime value by assigning _time = startTime and then running a timechart with a span=1d. That doesn't visualize when the job started and stopped exactly (I thought that is what you were after), but does allow you to show a line/bar chart to show the runtime trend over time.

For example:

| eval _time=startTime
| timechart span=1d avg(runTime) as runTime by jobName

Note: this charts the runtime as a number of seconds. If jobs typically take several minutes or hours to run, you might be better of displaying it as number of minutes. For example:

| eval _time=startTime
| eval runTime=round((endTime-startTime)/60,1)
| timechart span=1d avg(runTime) as runTime by jobName
0 Karma

VatsalJagani
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

runTime was in seconds, after using tostring we have converted into string. You can use integer in timechart not string.
But I don't think timechart will fit here, you can use Timeline visualization.

0 Karma

aohls
Contributor

@somesoni2 That worked perfect and exactly what I was looking for.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...