Getting Data In

Why is my Windows batch file not being executed from my inputs.conf?

jstockton

I created an App and in my inputs.conf have it calling a Windows batch file to execute an .exe, but the exe seems that it is not executed. I have tried multiple things based on some of posts I found, and haven't gotten it to work yet.

Here is what I currently have setup:
C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\LogViewer\bin is where my exe is that I want to run along with my batch file to run my exe.

call "C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\LogViewer\bin\LogginDB.exe"

C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\LogViewer\default\inputs.conf contains

[script:"C:\Program Files\Splunk\etc\apps\LogViewer\bin\LaunchLogging.bat"]
  disabled = 0 # change to true to start the input, requires restart
  host = SHE-STGSQLEXT1 # enter hostname here
  index = main
  interval = 30      #frequency to run the script

My exe is written to output a text file so i know for sure that it is not running and if I run the batch file manually the output is created.

Any one know what I am doing wrong?

Tags (2)
0 Karma
1 Solution

hazekamp
Builder

I believe the issue is with your "script" stanza in inputs.conf. The correct syntax is "script://". Try:

## inputs.conf
[script://$SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\LogViewer\bin\LaunchLogging.bat]

View solution in original post

jstockton

I was able to resolve it. I think it is a combination of a syntax errors. In my first post I have a couple of lines in my inputs.conf where I have a comment after setting a property:

disabled = 0 # change to true to start the input, requires restart

I removed those comments and also tried your original suggestion of changing the value of my script path in my script stanza. I now have it set to the value of:

Thanks for your help.

0 Karma

donwant
Explorer

Do you need a double backslash to indicat that you are not escape charachtering?
I can't type it here as the preview removes the second backslash. but I beleive that that is the problem.....
Hope that helps.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

You do not have to escape slashes in inputs.conf file path specifiers.

0 Karma

jstockton

One other thing, I put my .bat file in C:\Program Files\Splunk\bin\scripts and added a Data Input to this file and everything is working as I expected.

I'm assuming that $SPLUNK_HOME is a system variable. I checked my system variables and did not see that on so I added it and put the value as C:\Program Files\Splunk. The path to Python is part of my path.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

If it is working in $SPLUNK_HOME\bin\scripts, but not in $SPLUNK_HOME\etc\apps\\bin this could be a file permissions issue.

0 Karma

jstockton

I updated my script stanza by copying and pasting the line you provided, but it still is not launching.

0 Karma

hazekamp
Builder

I believe the issue is with your "script" stanza in inputs.conf. The correct syntax is "script://". Try:

## inputs.conf
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...