Getting Data In

Why is Search in dashboard ending with "waiting for data"?

rrovers
Communicator

1 search in a dashboard ends with "waiting for data" for 3 of about 300 organisations. The organisation-name is part of the url.  The search ends correctly for most of the organisations.

After refreshing the search (in the dashboard) or clicking on the magnifying glass the result of the search is shown. 
Job inspection gives no error.

Any idea why what can be the reason that the result is not shown in the dashboard directly?

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Karma

bowesmana
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

That waiting for data is generally a token issue - if it's consistently the same 3, is there something distinct with the names? 

What's the query containing the token and if you can share and working/non-working example name. Could be encoding, spaces or some other thing.

Is this search using a base search?

0 Karma

PickleRick
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There can be several reasons the typical being reaching your user's search limits and the search being queued.

Of course it can also rely on some parts of search being populated by tokens from other parts of the dashboard or such.

0 Karma

rrovers
Communicator

There is 1 token in it but that doesn't seem to be the problem. 

I solved it now by using a join in stead of index=1... OR index=2.. and that seems to work fine (I know, using a join is not advised).  So 

index=1... join type=inner id [search index=2..]

I don't know why the "OR" doesn't work. Maybe caused by a lot of events (2,7 mln for the first index).  But that is also the case with other organisations that do give a result.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Join Us for Splunk University and Get Your Bootcamp Game On!

If you know, you know! Splunk University is the vibe this summer so register today for bootcamps galore ...

.conf24 | Learning Tracks for Security, Observability, Platform, and Developers!

.conf24 is taking place at The Venetian in Las Vegas from June 11 - 14. Continue reading to learn about the ...

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...