Getting Data In

Why has support been removed in 6.5.0 for universal forwarders on Windows 7, and is there a workaround?

nbowman
Path Finder

I'm looking to upgrade from 6.4.1 to 6.5, and I came across this:

Windows 7 x86-32 & x86_64: Free/Trial and Universal Forwarder support has been removed.

http://docs.splunk.com/Documentation/Splunk/6.5.0/ReleaseNotes/DeprecatedFeatures#Removed_platforms

Well, there goes my plans for 6.5, nearly all my Windows endpoints are Windows 7...

Anyone here make the jump to 6.5 with Windows 7 UF's?

inventsekar
Ultra Champion

You can keep the 6.4 UF's for some more time.
Or,
as I remember on some other posts here, maybe, UF 6.5 will get installed on Windows 7. The only issue is, the official support from splunk won't be available.

0 Karma

lukejadamec
Super Champion

Not I.

If Splunk does not support installation of the forwarder on Windows 7, then I'm not sure it is wise to find a way to force it.

On a side note, since security updates will be available for Windows 7 until about 2020, I wonder why Splunk stopped supporting it. Perhaps it is because Windows 7 tech support ended in 2015.

The workaround is, as @richgalloway noted, is to use 6.4.1 or older forwareders that do install.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Splunk 6.5 will work with 6.4.1 forwarders.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Welcome to the Splunk Community!

(view in My Videos) We're so glad you're here! The Splunk Community is place to connect, learn, give back, and ...

Tech Talk | Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Splunk RUM & APM

Elevating Digital Service Excellence: The Synergy of Real User Monitoring and Application Performance ...

Adoption of RUM and APM at Splunk

Unleash the power of Splunk Observability   Watch Now In this can't miss Tech Talk! The Splunk Growth ...