Getting Data In

Why does Email Report change column order?

njones781
Loves-to-Learn

_Time is the column that gets moved from last to first only within the reports csv. Within the Inline results, the search, and a direct csv from the search keeps the columns in the correct order. How can I correct for this current and future reports?

Labels (1)
0 Karma

wyfwa4
Communicator

It appears that Splunk detects the "_time" fields and makes a decision that this should be first - I assume as _time is the only true law in the universe. So if you rename the field to a custom name like "timefield" - is it no longer considered a special case and will now follow the order specified by the fields or table command.

Another consideration is that when a field is called "_time" and contains an epoch time value - Splunk will automatically convert it to a readable format. However when you rename to something else, Splunk will just show the epoch value. So you also need to add a eval with strftime to convert the value to your preferred readable time.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Use a table command to specify the order in which to display fields.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.
0 Karma

njones781
Loves-to-Learn

|table DeptName App Region Tran USERID EmpName ACF2Name _time

Adding in this additional line did not have an impact on the Report csv column order.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

You may need to submit a support request.

---
0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

Are you using a table command to set the field order?

---
0 Karma

njones781
Loves-to-Learn

I was not, my order was being derived from:

|stats count as #Trans by DeptName App Region Tran USERID EmpName ACF2Name _time

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...