Getting Data In

Why aren't FIELD_NAMES being applied?

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

Attempting to send a CSV file, but it's a bit messy. I need to remove some entries that aren't formatted correctly, delete the header row, and replace it with my own (hence FIELD_NAMES). Data is on a UF and goes to my IDX. I'm not using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS on the UF because the .csv file isn't clean/properly formatted, so I have my IDX doing the work.

working
- event breaking
- removing improperly formatted entries
- removed original header

not working
- my field names (nothing is parsed when searching, my FIELD_NAMES are missing).

Based on this, I'm thinking that the old header isn't stripped until it reaches typingQueue ( TRANSFORMS), but my FIELD_NAMES is trying to be applied at the aggQueue so it isn't working...but I'm not sure. How to fix this?

UF inputs

[monitor://C:\test\testfile_*.csv]
index = main
sourcetype = test
crcSalt = <SOURCE>
queue = parsingQueue
disbled = 0

IDX props

[test]
SHOULD_LINEMERGE = false
FIELD_NAMES = contentID,moduleName,levelName,date,loginID,last,first,var1,var2,var3,var4
FIELD_DELIMITER = ,
TIME_FORMAT = %F %T.%3Q
TZ = UTC
TRANSFORMS-null_hdr_and_nonevt = del_hdr,del_nonevt

IDX transforms

[del_hdr]
REGEX = ^ContentID.*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue

[del_nonevt]
REGEX = ^(?!\d+,).*
DEST_KEY = queue
FORMAT = nullQueue
1 Solution

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The FIELD_NAMES and FIELD_DELIMITER attributes only apply when INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS is set.

---
If this reply helps you, Karma would be appreciated.

View solution in original post

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

Are you absolutely sure that you have exactly 11 fields? I think not; where, for example, is the time field? You must list them all.

0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

@woodcock yes, the timestamp is in the date field (it follows my TIME_FORMAT entry). I already tried using TIMESTAMP_FIELDS = date but that messed everything up because I'm not using INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS. How can I set these up so everything is parsed?

0 Karma

woodcock
Esteemed Legend

You should also be using TIME_PREFIX but that should not have anything to do with why the fields are not working. I would open a support case.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

The FIELD_NAMES and FIELD_DELIMITER attributes only apply when INDEXED_EXTRACTIONS is set.

---
0 Karma

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

@richgalloway Please post your comment as an answer so I can accept it since it does explain why my FIELD_NAMES isn't working. I think I will have to use search time field extractions to get my data parsed (I don't see any other alternatives). Should be simple since it is comma separated.

0 Karma

richgalloway
SplunkTrust
SplunkTrust

There may be another option. Try adding a third transform that parses the CSV.

Props.conf
TRANSFORMS-null_hdr_and_nonevt = del_hdr,del_nonevt, parse_test

Transforms.conf
[parse_test]
REGEX = ([^,]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+),([^.]+)
DEST_KEY = _raw
FORMAT = contentID=$1,moduleName=$2,levelName=$3,date=$4,loginID=$5,last=$6,first=$7,var1=$8,var2=$9,var3=$10,var4=$11

---

DEAD_BEEF
Builder

@richgalloway that worked perfectly! The docs on how to use the REGEX/DEST_KEY/FORMAT are not that great, your write-up makes much more sense. Thank you.

0 Karma
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Webinar Recap | Revolutionizing IT Operations: The Transformative Power of AI and ML ...

The Transformative Power of AI and ML in Enhancing Observability   In the realm of IT operations, the ...

.conf24 | Registration Open!

Hello, hello! I come bearing good news: Registration for .conf24 is now open!   conf is Splunk’s rad annual ...

ICYMI - Check out the latest releases of Splunk Edge Processor

Splunk is pleased to announce the latest enhancements to Splunk Edge Processor.  HEC Receiver authorization ...