Getting Data In

Why are source/host/sourcetype fields dropping through HEC?

Mels
Engager

I'm posting a json struct such as 

{
  "index": "test_metrics",
  "time": 1679920906.0,
  "event": "metric",
  "host": "myhostname",
  "source": "build.mybuildplan",
  "sourcetype": "trace_profile",
  "fields": {
    "metric_name:metric1": 1234,
    "metric_name:metric2": 1234,
    "metric_name:metric3": 1234,
    "metric_name:metricN": 1234
  }
}

I noticed that on our splunk enterprise server, I can successfully post it, but the source, host, and sourcetype fields are not visible in Splunk (version 9.0.1).

After some debugging on a local Splunk install I found that when I reduce N enough, these fields suddenly come through. Moreover, when I find the largest N for which these fields are shown properly and then make the name of the last metric longer (e.g. "metric_name:metricN_lorem_ipsum_etc"), it also starts to drop these fields. So it looks like it's related to the length of all metric names in the json combined?

My questions:
- Has anyone else experienced this?
- What's the magic limit I'm hitting here?
- Most importantly: Why can't I see any error message anywhere? It seems to be silently dropping some info. Is this a bug that could be fixed?

Labels (5)
Get Updates on the Splunk Community!

Announcing Scheduled Export GA for Dashboard Studio

We're excited to announce the general availability of Scheduled Export for Dashboard Studio. Starting in ...

Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud

Watch Now!   In this Extending Observability Content to Splunk Cloud Tech Talk, you'll see how to leverage ...

More Control Over Your Monitoring Costs with Archived Metrics GA in US-AWS!

What if there was a way you could keep all the metrics data you need while saving on storage costs?This is now ...